We've teamed up with Head Chef Joe at Planty to bring you this DREAMY version of a classic baklava but with a chocolate twist, of course.
Made with layers of buttery filo pastry, a super chocolatey and rich blend of hazelnuts and our viral Nutty Choc Balls, all topped with a drizzle of orange syrup. The perfect indulgent treat for the festivities.
Ingredients for 4-6 people:
100g butter - melted
250g Filo pastry
200g Hazelnuts (save a small handful for topping)
100g Almond butter
30g Dark Chocolate - roughly chopped
4 Nutty chocolate balls - roughly chopped
2 Orange juice and zest
5g Vanilla paste
4 Nutty Choc balls - cut in half
Reaming toasted hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan
- Add the hazelnuts to the oven for 15 minutes at 180C, or until it's golden
- For the syrup, add the juice, zest, water and sugar to a small saucepan. Place on medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce to half, then remove from the heat and leave to one side.
- Melt the butter either in the microwave or on low heat in a pan.
- Brush the baking tin with melted butter (we used a tin sized 25cm x 15cm)
- Cut the filo pastry into sizes similar to the base of the baking tin.
- Add one filo layer into the tin and brush with melted butter. Repeat 10 times.
- For the nut mix, add the hazelnuts into a blender until it becomes a fine crumb.
- Add the blended hazelnuts to a bowl and then add the rest of the nut mix ingredients. Mix with a spoon until it binds all together.
- Spoon the mixture over the filo pastry in the tray and spread evenly all over.
- Repeat with the remaining filo sheets and butter.
- Add into the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and add the syrup over the top and cool for 30 minutes.
- Once cooled, cut into some sexy shapes.
- Sprinkle the hazelnuts and the Nutty Choc Balls over the top.